My throat and ear were almost back to normal on Tuesday. I didn't swim on Wednesday (worked for about 12 hours and was exhausted when I arrived home at night), but the rest of my week went normally. biked Tuesday and yesterday, and swam today.
For my swim, I concentrated on my technique and decided to make it very short. I stopped swimming when I realised I was not able to think about what I was doing anymore. It ended up being a very relaxed workout, 1000m instead of my usual 2500m, but one of my fastest 100m swims all the same. Which tells me I'm doing things wrong when I'm not concentrating on my stroke. I usually swim around 1:54/100m, going the fastest I can. I don't go under 1:50/100m. Today, I swam a 1:44/100m, without pushing. All my 100m were below 1:50/100m.
I have to start realising what I'm doing, instead of just doing it. This will make a huge difference in the long term. I still want to train on endurance, especially with my 5000m swim coming in April, but I will have to make sure I break these bad forms habits. At least it's encouraging: I seem to know a couple of things I'm doing wrong when I'm not thinking, so I'm hoping that with a lot of practice I'll get the right movements in my muscle memory!
I'm also thinking about changing my training schedule. Currently my long ride is on Saturday and my straight swim is on Sunday. My rest day is on Monday. I find that Saturdays seem to be bad for my long rides. I always have stuff to do and I'm pretty busy with work as well. I'm thinking of taking Saturdays off and do my long ride on Sundays (especially convenient for long group rides) or Monday, and Swim most likely on Monday if my long ride was on Sunday. I don't really know yet, and it seems a bit brutal to do my long ride right after a rest, instead of building my workout week up to the long ride. I suppose I will have to experiment...
I am considering joining the triathlon club very soon, as I need some advices and also I need a place where I can have group rides and be allowed to use my aero bars! Joining the triathlon club is probably the best thing I should do, as I feel right now I'm just picking information on the internet and try to put it together. I just don't want to spend any money on coaching at this point.
Oh well, I'm learning, and the most important is that I'm enjoying it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Where is the "5000m swimming" thing? Toronto? You could swim to Quebec City instead and have a beer with me :P
Remembering the good old time! Singing together some Bon Jovi stuff with your cousins... hahaha!
Hehehe
Yes my charity swim for Arthritis is in Toronto on April 22 (oh my it's getting so close now!). I'm planning a road trip to our home town in summer for my high school reunion. I should pass by Quebec City in July, if the plans don't change...A lot of things are happening! I'll let you know!
As for the singing, I really miss it, but I don't miss the Bon Jovi stuff so much! :P
haha I don't listen to Bon Jovi anymore but I just can't delete that from my memory ;)
Post a Comment