Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Nice Fall Rides



Thanksgiving was last week-end in Canada. So we (hubby and me) decided to go on a mtn bike ride. Fall colors are starting to pop-up, and it was definetely gorgeous! We had the perfect weather for a ride, 20 degrees (celcius...68 in fahrenheit), and quite sunny, although the trees were closing on the trail and not letting too much light in.

The only problem? I have been slacking a bit in the last couple of weeks...I have an excuse, but sometimes I feel like I'm abusing that excuse. The thing is, I get medication every 2 months to treat Arthritis (that's on top of the regular drugs I take). This infusion leaves me exhausted. I usually sleep a lot (probably too much) in the couple of days following it, and it is really difficult to get back to a regular routine. I guess I should force myself to do a bit more, rather than relaxing totally. I go swimming here and there, and biking when I feel I can. I wonder if I'm not too lazy and should try to keep my schedule even if I feel tired. I noticed that being regular in everything I'm doing is essential to help me feel good. I know this applies to most people, but especially in my case, as every single thing I do out of the ordinary throws my balance off.

Anyway, we went to Albion Hills on Saturday, and although the trails aren't too technical (except for the single tracks that I don't attack too much), it is a very good workout. I had to restrain myself from pushing though. I really enjoy giving all I can to get on top of the hill, but I was riding anaerobic most of the time! So after only 11km (6.8 mi) I had to stop! :( I should be building my endurance right now, not pushing it so much. I don't know if it's because I lost so quickly what I gained before my infusion, or if it's because my body was not ready for a hard work out like that, but I was disappointed all the same. Anyway, we were able to stop and take a couple of nice pics, here are a couple...

Also, I went on a swim on Sunday (1300M). It was great because I got some technique drills in: Catch ups, side swim and one arm. It was bad because I swim in my condo pool , which doesn't make me feel like I optimize the drills and once I get the momentum I hit the wall. I also went later than usual (9am) and there were people swimming already. When I go around 6:30 or 7:00, I usually have to pool all for me, which is great! I will probably get into a masters swim program next year, but for now, this will do.

We went for a path ride (paved) yesterday, and it was good. We rode for about an hour and half, and I managed to keep it aerobic (zone3), except for that last climb. The cool thing is, I remember, at the start of the summer, I was not able to do that last climb! :)

I still don't have my training plan yet, I will work on it this week. I believe that once you know where you're going, and how you plan to do it, you're halfway there. The rest is just kicks in the butt! :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Those are great photo. Congrats on that "last climb" and good luck with your plan.

Lisa said...

Those are great photo. Congrats on that "last climb" and good luck with your plan.

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures!! Makes me want to go ride in Canada right NOW =)

Caroline said...

I guess I was lucky with my camera that day, Lisa is for sure a much better photograph than me! :o)
Kylie, this is the right time to visit Canada, in a couple of months it's going to be so cold!